Overview of the A+ Certification
The A+ certification program was designed in 1993 by the Computer Technology Industry Association or CompTIA for short.
The A+ examination is suppose to test and measure a technicians ability to:
- Build computers
- Upgrade computers
- Diagnose and troubleshoot computer problems
- Repair computers and its peripherals
- Install and troubleshoot operating systems
- Perform basic networking
- Troubleshoot printers
In addition, the knowledge level that is being measured is after six month of on the job training (6-month level).
A+ Test Details
- Number of questions: 100 for each exam
- Length of test: 90 minutes each
- Passing score: 675 for CompTIA A+ Essentials – 700 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application (on a scale of 100-900)
A+ Exam Objectives
What’s on the A+ Certification Exam?
The certification process consists of taking and passing the following two exams:
- CompTIA A+ Essentials (220-701 or JK0-701)
- CompTIA A+ Practical Application (220-702 or JK0-702)
Breakdown of Exam Objectives:
Exam Number One – DOMAINS 1.0 – 6.0 (CompTIA A+ 220-701 Essentials)
- Domain 1.0 Hardware
- Domain 2.0 Troubleshooting, Repair, and Maintenance
- Domain 3.0 Operating Systems and Software
- Domain 4.0 Networking
- Domain 5.0 Security
- Domain 6.0 Operational Procedure
Exam Number Two – DOMAINS 1.0 – 4.0 (CompTIA A+ 220-702 Practical Applications)
- Domain 1.0 Hardware
- Domain 2.0 Operating Systems
- Domain 3.0 Networking
- Domain 4.0 Security
I am not sure that it truly test six months worth of knowledge but I do recommend it, particularly if you are new to computers. For the beginner, it gives them a basic understanding of computer hardware and components of the operating system.
The A+ exam is a good spring-board to passing other certifications. But understand this, becoming A+ certified does not make you an expert in fixing and troubleshooting computers.
Technicians that are good at working on computers did so by gaining years of experience. I have taken an passed the A+ exam but I also have more than 10 years of experience. There were many days when it took hours to diagnose and fix some problems, just passing a couple of exams will not do it for you. But it is a start, so make it happen today…