Should I Use a Job Board to Find a Job?
With the economy still struggling, it is common to know several friends or acquaintances that are struggling to find work. Sometimes these individuals may not be trying hard enough to find a job while others are beating the pavement each day with no success.
With the popularity of the internet, many different job websites have popped up and it is sometimes difficult to know who to trust when it comes to trying to find a job online. It’s important when looking for job boards online to look for websites which have positive reviews and those which have been around for a long time.
Be wary of job websites which have only be around for a few months and promise to get you a job in no time. Frequently these sites are scams and will do more harm than good for your career.
Do Online Job Boards Really Help?
You may be asking yourself if websites devoted to helping you find a job really work, and this is a great question. Unfortunately, it can be a difficult question to answer. It’s very obvious that these job websites do offer ways for you to apply to many different jobs at the same time, but sometimes there are literally thousands of other people applying for the same job.
This can make standing out among the crowd difficult when a job is very popular. There are several things which you can do to make yourself stand out among the crowd when it comes to applying for a job online:
- Proofread your resume – It is vitally important that your resume does not have any typos whatsoever. Many hiring managers will trash any resumes that have typos. Surprisingly, many resumes are riddled with typos and just by presenting a typo-free resume, you are likely setting yourself apart from much of your competition.
- Research the company – When applying on various job boards, try to do research on the company with which you are applying for a job. You can often find the name of an HR manager and contact them directly to follow up on a job application. This can associate your name with decision makers which can sometimes help you get the job of your dreams.
How To Use Job Websites
Many of the top job sites such as careerbuilder.com or monster.com offer very easy to use search capabilities to find potential jobs which fit your needs. These sites frequently offer a 3 step process when it comes to applying for a job.
- Submit your resume – The first thing that you will do on most job boards is submit your resume. Pay special attention to the formatting and layout of your resume to appeal to employers.
- Search for jobs in your field – After submitting your resume you are then able to search for jobs in your field. Try to search for jobs where you have related experience so that you can stand out among the other applicants.
- Apply to relevant jobs – After finding jobs that interest you, apply online and you can keep track of whether or not employers are interested in speaking with you further about any of the jobs that you applied for online.
Top 10 Jobs Based on U.S. News and World Report
- Dentists – Median Salary $142,740
- Registered Nurse – Median Salary $65,690
- Pharmacist – Median Salary $113,390
- Computer Systems Analyst – Median Salary $78,770
- Physician – Median Salary $183,170
- Database Administrator – Median Salary $75,190
- Software Developer – Median Salary $89,280
- Physical Therapist – Median Salary $78,270
- Web Developer – Median Salary $77,990
- Dental Hygienist – Median Salary $69,280
You Might Also Like Reading:
Special Thanks and Image Credit: Zach Klein